Data Girl is a non-profit association founded in 1998. Two female students in Umeå got inspired during a seminar on women's well-being in computer education. As a result, they chose to organize the first conference in Umeå to create an opportunity to get to know other women studying IT-oriented subjects and discuss how to get more women to apply to data related programs. On the first occasion, the conference had about 20 participants from, among others, Stockholm, Linköping, Uppsala and Umeå. Twenty years later, the conference is our biggest event of the year with 120 participants. Read more here on what DataTjej's conference entails.
Today we are more than 2 000 members in Sweden. The goal of the association is to create a network between individuals who identify themselves as women or non-binary of all ages who are plugging, working or interested in data / IT. We work to encourage and facilitate contacts especially between students and the business community, and to increase the fellowship among the members of DataTjej. DataTjej won the Womentor Prize 2015 with motivation from the jury that DataTjej makes a big effort to attract more women to the IT industry and to take leading positions there.
"DataTjej is an important platform for fellowship among young girls, and its members are all role models well worth highlighting and praising" IT & Telecom company wrote in its press release.
Our goals for the financial year 2019 / 2020
The goal of the association is to create a network between individuals of all ages who identify themselves as women or non-binary and plug, work or are interested in IT or data.
We work to encourage and facilitate contacts between students and the business community, as well as to increase the community of our members.
In 2019 / 2020 we focus on:
- To be seen and heard more.
- Hold at least 20 corporate and 10 member events during the year.
- Publish 100 job ads on our job portal.
- Expand our network to over 3000 members.
- Match up 100 awesome mentees with our fantastic mentors through Match and Go.
- Create a clearer membership value.
- DataTjej should spread confidence and trust among women and non-binary in the industry setting an inspirational example.
- DataTjej should always listen to and respect the opinions of others and work together for a feeling of togetherness.
- DataTjej is always open and inclusive against all women and non-binary as well as all kinds of data / IT education.
Read more about DataTjej in our brochure here!
DataTjej in the media
If you want to read more about DataTjej, we have been mentioned in ComputerSweden, Ny Teknik, Svenska Dagbladet, Ergo and Metro: